The first institution of higher education in world that gives scientific veterinary medicine education was opened in the early 1762 in Lyon by Claude BOURGELAT and his friends. This institution was established to control epidemic cattle plague and it had been achieved in a short time. This great accomplishment that Lyon Veterinary Faculty had reached, allowed for many new veterinary faculties to be established and to be attented in a short time in Europe.
Scientific veterinary medicine education in our country has started in 1842 for the first time in Istanbul. The military veterinary academy which was established by the leadership of Prusian Military Veterinarian Godlewsky, took on a responsibility of training veterinarians only for rider cavalry. But in Ottoman Empire, who was in a serious economical difficulty, mostly cattles from villages weren’t really in a good situation as health. To find a solution for this problem, Lieutenant-Colonel Veterinarian Mehmet Ali Bey had started efforts to open another civil veterinary academy again in Istanbul and this academy was finally opened in 1889.
Without any doubt, the most important student of this civil veterinary academy was Mehmet Akif ERSOY, who was going to be titled as national writer. This great writer, who signed in to the academy in 1889, gratuated with a first place in 1893. After working in a veterinary medicine organization for 20 years, he resigned from this mission and later on to join in National Turkish War for Independence, he went to Ankara where Mustafa Kemal Paşa was. Without any doubt the greatest honour for the National Veterinary Academy was raising a national writer veterinarian Mehmet Akif ERSOY.
The military and civil veterinary academies were united as one academy named High Education Veterinary Academy in 1920 and until 1933 it threw up many students that were built up in Selimiye-Istanbul. This academy in Selimiye was moved to Ankara to build up a new High Agriculture Institue Veterinary Faculty which was going to be opened in 1933. Veterinary Medicine education, which started in 1842 in Istanbul and which also continued improving for 91 years until 1933 again in Istanbul was going to be given in the heart of the country, Ankara.
But after Worl War-II, increasing population in the country and the need of animal origined foodl, alerted new Veterinary Faculties to be opened and with this Istanbul University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine started education again in the buildings in Selimiye once more in 1972.
Until 1987, Istanbul University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine kept up their education programme under restricted possibilities and in the buildings which were in Selimiye. At the end it was moved to the Istanbul University Avcılar Campus Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in 1987 and also today veterinary medicine education is given in those buildings. Istanbul University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has been proud of letting almost 5000 veterinary medicine students to be graduated and over 40 years helping in science and also stock-breeding since 1977 when it included 5 main departments, 17 departments and let gratuated first veterinary medicine students with almost 100 academic staff.